Manchester United are working overtime to land at least one of the Eredivisie’s top stars, with their chase for Ajax’s Antony and PSV’s Cody Gakpo reportedly heating up.
Antony racked up eight goals and four assists in 23 league games last season, and has started the new campaign in hot form, collecting a goal and two assists from his first two fixtures.
Gakpo netted a brace in PSV’s season opener against FC Emmen, and while the Telegraph claims United will only be able to afford one of the two wingers, a conflicting report from the Netherlands’ De Telegraaf says that might not be the case.
TOP STORY – UNITED TO ADDRESS WINGER SHORTAGE WITH EREDIVISIE RAID
The report from De Telegraaf says “it is not a question of [Antony or Gakpo], but the club wants to contract both players”, which would mean well over £100million in transfer fees after their last offer of £68m for Antony was rejected.
Ajax have no interest in letting Antony leave, with the Brazilian’s contract tying him to the club through 2025, but Goal is reporting he has missed recent training sessions, and the reason he was absent from his side’s 1-0 win against Sparta Rotterdam on Sunday was due to him trying to force his way out.
The Telegraph claims United are “expected” to complete a £34m deal for Gakpo, but it remains to be seen if they are willing to pull the trigger on the Dutchman while they still believe they can land Antony.
– According to The Sun, United will block any moves for captain Harry Maguire after Chelsea expressed interest earlier in the week.
– Calciomercato is reporting Milan have approached Tottenham about a potential transfer for 23-year-old English centre-back Japhet Tangana.
– Tottenham and Newcastle United are waiting to see if Juventus secure Barcelona’s Memphis Depay, with the two Premier League clubs hoping to swoop in if the Bianconeri’s deal falls apart, according to The Sun.
– Free agent Andrea Belotti has rejected an offer from Wolves, according to Calciomercato, instead preferring to wait for Roma to make room for him.
– Sport1 is reporting Paris Saint-Germain are planning a move for RB Leipzig defenders Josko Gvardiol and Mohamed Simakan, but the German side hope to retain both.